Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Things I Can Do Now That Baseball Season is Over

Yes, baseball season is over, and I'm in that strange and uncomfortable place between elation (Woohoo!!! My Giants won the World Series!) and confusion (what do I do now?). For the past seven months, I've been watching baseball 5-7 times per week. I have driven into San Francisco (1.5 hours each way) more times than I can count during just about every home stand to cheer on the team. I have read baseball blogs and checked box scores and tweeted Giants love just about every day. I have neglected my favorite TV shows and all but eliminated any non-baseball-related social life. Yes, I have friends who live a block away who I haven't seen for seven months.

Now what?

Because I am a left-brained, analytical type, I decided to make a list of some of  the things I can do now that baseball season is over - just to help me get through this transitional period.  Here is my list (not necessarily in order of priority):

  1. Prioritize this list.
  2. Program the app in my iPhone to count down the days until opening day 2011.
  3. Spend more time reading and playing with my six year old.
  4. Finish reading Life of Pi. I started reading it after a friend recommended it in June and, well, I never made it beyond chapter 1.
  5. Get back to writing in my journal every day.  My daily entries stopped somewhere in May and became infrequent rants about the San Diego Padres and the Los Angeles Dodgers.
  6. Reintroduce myself to my non-baseball friends.
  7. Order my World Series Championship gear (caps, shirts, etc.)
  8. Put down my deposit for our season tickets for 2011.
  9. Write more blog posts.
  10. Make a movie with my son and post it online.
  11. Learn how to shoot a rifle.
  12. Think of a friendly salutation to greet people that doesn't include, "Go Giants!"
  13. Clean up and store my Giants purse and other baseball gear for use next season.
  14. Make a Christmas list.
  15. Send out Christmas cards.
  16. Take a walk downtown in the early evening and enjoy the shops.
  17. Take my son to the park.
  18. Volunteer in my son's classroom.
  19. Prune my roses.
  20. Teach my son how to edit videos.
  21. Make a photo book to send to family for Christmas.
  22. Expand my daily meditation time.
  23. Call my friends and family more often to tell them I love them.
  24. Develop more online courses for Grant Goddess University.
  25. Continue my video blog.
  26. Write another book.
  27. Write more letters.
  28. Clean my desk.
  29. Wave and smile sweetly to the impolite neighbors across the street (Yes, I'm baaaack!)
  30. Get back to Bible study.
  31. Go to a movie with my husband.
  32. Attend more school board meetings.
  33. Bake cookies with my son.
  34. Sleep in one day a week.
I think that's a good start for now. Before I know it, it'll be April again and it will be time to follow baseball again.  

Who am I kidding?  Spring training starts in February. That means I have only three months to get to everything on that list.  Suddenly, I'm stressed. I think I'll watch a replay of World Series Game 6 to calm down and relax. 

---------------------------------------


Take a few minutes to check out The Grant Goddess Speaks, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment