Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Discipline

I met with my staff this morning to go over all of our projects and all of  the things we need to get done, particularly over the next few weeks. As you could probably guess, it's one of those impossible lists - the kind that cannot possibly be completed, so you have to prioritize, be disciplined, and do your best.  I have two out of those three requirements locked, but the third one....uh....not so much.

I can prioritize.  I can do my best. Discipline is difficult for me. My mind wanders from task to task, each one important, and I tend to lose focus that way.  Or my attention is drawn away by something fun and wonderful that pops up during the holiday season.

It's not that I have no discipline.  I can hunker down and focus for long periods of time when I'm up against a deadline.  It's just that when there's no immediately deadline, it feels like I have all the time in the world, and ....whoops!  Quicksand.

So, here I am today, organizing my organizational tools (editorial calendars, project tracking software, etc.) for the millionth time, hoping that a little Christmas magic will blow my way this time so I can develop and keep the discipline I need to get everything done.

******************

Read more A Writer's Journey.

Try The Grant Goddess Speaks.....

No comments:

Post a Comment