Saturday, June 5, 2010

Not a Victim

One of the great things about being self-employed is that I have choices, and I know I have choices.  It's the second part of that statement that's so important to me.  Everyone has choices, but people who are working for someone else often don't realize it. They think their livelihood comes from their employer.  If they lose their job, they are in trouble. They are victims of the economy, and that's precisely how they see themselves - as victims.

Their biggest problem, though, is not the loss of the job, but the victim mentality because when you think of yourself as a powerless victim, you can't even see the many opportunities that are presented to you.

As a self-employed writer, I have a deep understanding of the reality that I am responsible for my own success. That understanding allows me to see opportunity and take advantage of it.  Some of the things I try are really successful - even beyond my wildest dreams - and other things I try are not, but I know my livelihood is not dependent on any single client or project or strategy.

So, you can be a victim because you lost your job and you can't find another one, or you can open your eyes, realize that you have choices in life and that opportunities are everywhere. Make a list of the skills you have and what you love to do.  Then start to look for ways you can make money doing those things.  Look beyond regular jobs to business opportunities.  If you are a writer, then write! As you start to look for opportunities, they will appear.  Then it's time for the real action.

In my Grant Goddess blog, I wrote a post awhile ago entitled Are You the Bear or the Salmon?  Take a minute to read it.  Which are you - the hunter or the victim?

-----------------------
Find me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter!

Also, visit GrantGoddess.com and peruse the rest of the posts on A Writer's Journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment