Saturday, October 16, 2010

Surrounded by Writers

Writing is generally a very solitary act.  Not that all writers are loners, but when you are writing, the interaction is generally between you and the computer.  I try to think about potential readers as I write, but the conversation is in my head before it comes out on the screen.

So, here I am in Las Vegas at the Blog World and New Media Expo, and I am surrounded by writers. For the first time in quite a while, I feel connected to a community of writers.  Wow! It's quite a feeling.

There is a huge mass of folks here who write blogs about how to make money online, but there are also hundreds of other niches represented here. In the last two days, I have met people who write about fitness, aging, retirement, home repair, personal development, time management online gaming, faith, weight loss, and more. I haven't met any other grant writers yet, but there is still time.  Who knows?

I have collected a thick pile of business cards and I have handed out just as many. I have talks to writers from all over the United States as well as a few from the U.K., Australia, and India. We have all stepped out of our isolation to come together to share lessons, ideas, and resources.

In about 24 hours, though, this community of writers will separate.  People will board planes for destinations all over the world. By Monday, we'll be back in front of our computers again, writing alone.

But we'll still be connected.  It's a virtual connection that we'll use to share ideas, encouragement, and resources until it's time to get together again next year.

--------------------------------

Read more A Writer's Journey.

Follow me on Twitter!

Other posts you may like:

If You Can read This, Be Grateful -- Literacy is Not Universal

Dealing with Change

Writing about Regrets

My Secret Late Night Pleasure

A Life in 140 Words or Less

No comments:

Post a Comment