Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Failed Attempt at a Day Off

I knew I needed a day off.  If you read my post on A Day in the Life, you knew it, too. Focusing has been difficult, and as a result, I have been getting less done in more time, rather than the other day around. So, I planned a day off.

Then, my plan grew to two days, then three, and before I knew it, I was planning five whole days off and a trip to a local resort to rest.  But it was all supposed to start with today - a day off.

I emailed my staff last night to let them know so I wouldn't have to write anything today.  Seriously, I wasn't going to write anything - not an email, not a text message, nothing. The day started off great.  I didn't set the alarm and I slept in (about 30 minutes longer than usual).  My husband brought me an apple fritter (my favorite!) and some coffee, which I enjoyed while lounging in bed. I switched the TV from the financial channel I usually watch before work in the morning to something much less intellectually taxing - The Today Show.

That's when it started to happen.  My unattended brain started to think.  First it thought about the contracts I haven't finished writing.  Then it moved on to the materials I haven't finished developing for a grant writing course. Then it brought down the hammer - that big report isn't done yet!  There is no way I can take 5 days off.  What was I thinking?!

The lilting voice of Matt Lauer brought me back....O.K., so I can't take 5 days off.  Surely, I can take off two or three days. My brain responded, "Of course you can, if you want to be behind for the next two weeks. Enjoy!"

But what about one day, I thought.  One little day. A mid-day movie. A trashy novel.  One short day.

Ten minutes later when the heart palpitations started and my apple fritter was gone, I knew what I had to do. I got up, got dressed, and came in to work - just two hours later than usual.

I have succeeded at many difficult tasks in recent weeks, but when it comes to taking a day off, I'm a total failure.

---------------------------------

Read more A Writer's Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment